What I’ve learned in writing this blog the past five weeks, and trying out a few of my own suggestions, is it’s the little things that make a big difference. When I take the time to think about my husband and plan to do something for him it makes a huge positive difference in the way we connect. And if we connect everything is so much better.
So here is Week 6:
Whatever it is remember it’s the little things that count.
• Do her/his chores. Take out the garbage or do the dishes, even if it’s not your turn or your job.
• Cover him/her with a blanket. If you’re up in the middle of the night or have to leave early in the morning and you see your partner has tossed the comforter off, take a minute and tuck him/her in.
• Set out her/his coffee cup next to the coffee pot with milk and sugar in the morning so all she/he has to do is pour and get out the door.
• Next time you wake up before them, turn off the alarm clock and rouse them by kissing their forehead.
• Repair something that they haven’t gotten around to fixing—an old watch battery or a broken bracelet clasp.
• Pick up her/his dry cleaning or iron a shirt for her/him.
• Next time you know he/she hasn’t gotten enough sleep and he’s/she’s going to work tired, tell him/her they look great.
• When they tell you something about their schedule, put it on your calendar so you can remember to ask about it—a big meeting at work, a doctor’s appointment, a lunch with an old friend