Where does the time go? After a month long hiatus from writing ‘Ways to Improve Your Relationship Right Now’ here is week 7. Hopefully you have been improving your relationship without any prompts from me.
Surprises are a great way to show how much you care and don’t forget that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. What if every day was Valentine’s Day?
• Leave an open bottle of wine and an empty glass in the kitchen for your spouse after a long, hard day. Hopefully you’ll be able to join for a glass, but even if you’re working late or taking the kids to soccer practice, it’s a sign of how much you appreciate him/her.
• Keep gifts for him hidden in the house so you’ll have a surprise for him if he’s had a bad day.
• Get him a subscription to a magazine he likes.
• Buy a pack of his brand of clean underwear. Next time he needs to do laundry but doesn’t have time, give it to him.
• Pre-order a book from Amazon from an author you know she loves so it’ll arrive right after it’s published.
• Just once, upgrade to a small luxury item you know she likes but doesn’t usually indulge in—super soft toilet paper, organic arugula, a fancy bottle of wine.
• Start planning her next gift right now. Figure out the date of the next big holiday—a birthday, anniversary or religious celebration—and think about what she might want. Pay attention to things she says she wants and write them down. Thinking about giving will extend the joy we get from being generous.
• Scrawl a heart and your initials in the steam on the bathroom mirror. He’ll see it if he comes in right away, or next time the mirror fogs up.
• Write love notes and put them places you know you’re partner will find them: in his coat pocket, in her jewelry box, in the silverware drawer, on the laptop keyboard.
• Send flowers to her/his office. It doesn’t have to be a fancy bouquet; anything fresh-cut will look pretty on their desk and remind them of you.